Monday, January 18, 2010

The eyes have it

How are your eyebrows?

She tells me that mine are getting way too bushy and wild. Of course I have to run to the mirror to see and I can’t see what she’s talking about. Well, I guess I can see maybe three unruly strands, she wants to clip them but I’ll have none of that. She’ll leave a great gash in my face.

I try to focus on what I was doing before this rude interruption but its useless. I head for my cabinet on my side of the washbasin and with great concentration, courage and determination, “snip!” I just cut one of them and “wow, I’m a new man!” Who woulda’ thought that one little brow hair could have such an impact. “I’ am a new man!” And hey, I do a ‘Fonze’ in the mirror. I look absolutely amazing.

I am much braver now as my scissors poises over strand number two. I’m not sure which way to turn the scissors, inward, outward left or right? “Snip!” Holy smokes, there’s a rumbling in the ground, the energy released by that snip of my brow hair is truly earth shaking. Nothing can stop me now.

Actually, I’m too afraid to go after number three for fear of a collapse of the entire Universe but instead I’ll just moisten my finger and pat #3 down. Another look in the mirror and another ‘Fonze’ and Hey, I’m good to go!

She's been watching me and I don’t like that look in her eye.

Papanui the Storyteller
Aaron T Watene

No comments:

Post a Comment