Monday, January 18, 2010

Loaves of Bread and Tidal Waves

I threw some bread on the water yesterday
And found it to be true
Even a few crumbs will cause a tidal wave,
Giant loaves coming at you


He stood awhile at my table and played with the Kukui turtles. He looked at other things but always, he returned to the turtles, then silently he moved away.

Two other ladies told of a grand-daughter whom he dearly loves and that he was probably thinking of her and how much she loves turtles.

I became aware that he was hovering near and as he sidled to my table once more, I cast my crumbs upon the water;

“Please sir, I’d like you to have this turtle.” The very same he had already held lovingly.

“Oh no, I don’t have enough money,” he blurted.

“No you cannot pay me for this one, it belongs to someone special, I want you to have it.”

Sheer joy! I thought I had seen it before, perhaps I have, but never as it glowed from the entire body of this man.

The day rose in tidal proportion, so many loaves of bread.

Papanui the storyteller
Aaron T Watene
Oct 2, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment