Monday, January 18, 2010

Joy in Exercise

Some things you can do when you’re exercising, when you’re older. Pay attention now because you’ll be there sooner than you think. Since I’m a man and I’m still sure that I am, obviously it’s the men I’m talking to: (But hey, women can run too can't they?)

1 - Its smart to have a plentiful supply of “Just for Men” hair coloring which you can easily get at a reasonable price from Wal-Mart. (‘Lani made me do it. She said that she didn’t want to live with an old man) An application of this item gives the illusion that you are much younger than you really are and illusions are very important the older you get.

2 - Run with your head down because you’re going to be watching your feet as you run. This will give the illusion that you’re running quite fast. The ground beneath your feet appears to pass very rapidly. This has the affect of making you believe that you are much younger or that you are in wonderful condition to be moving so fast.
The other benefit of running like this is that the distance you’ve chosen to run is not so far. When you run with your head up and you’re huffing and puffing, the distance yet to go feels like a long, long way. So keep your head down.
Of course you do have to look up occasionally. I’ve actually run into parked cars and other people.

3 - You need something to occupy your mind when you run. This helps to distract from the run itself. There are all kinds of things to think about when you’re running. I have combined memory exercise with my physical exercise: Susan Black has written on how to memorize the chapter headings of books. I have memorized entire chapter headings by doing this. As soon as I take the first step, my mind automatically begins to work through the memorization and then my run is over that quick.

4 - One last thing has to do with my insecurities. I run early enough that it is still dark. Who wants to see yucky, gangly, disheveled me running around. Actually, I find it much more exhilarating and peaceful in the wee hours of the morning. Oh, and don't forget to watch out for parked cars.

Aloha,


Papanui the storyteller
Aaron T Watene
Sept 2, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment