Monday, January 18, 2010

Respite

Like you, I too have a place of personal retreat. I will hie to the ocean, to a spot where the trees and undergrowth in all their variety provide the necessary cover. Its very peaceful.
There’s a ‘perfect breeze.’ It is wafting cool though not cold. I lean with my back to my favorite tree. Two large roots run away from it, extending like the arms of the letter v. I sit at the emergence of the ‘v’. Its obviously a pine tree of some sort and needles long discarded are piled high and make for a very comfortable seat. I can rest my arms on the roots.
The breezes behave like the ebb and flow of the waves, they retreat a moment and caress in the next. I remain motionless as they slip past my face, gentle, oh so serene. It will be some time before I think to stir.
A Ghost crab haltingly follows the waterline and from time to time allows a wave to engulf and carry in and out. Sometime later, a Mynah bird walks the same line but never allows the water to touch her.
The sky is light blue and comes down to touch the ocean of deeper blue. The sea runs to green then another blue on approaching the shore. The horizon is so straight!
What would happen if the waves stopped their relentless arrivals? I suppose that might be like sitting next to a lake. Beautiful but different. No more steady roll of the waves and the sound of their breaking, no more expectation, no more dependence, no security. It would not be my island. Its fun to doze in and out.
Off to my left a tree has succumbed and fallen sideways into the water. It continues as it lies, two powerful branches are determined to hold it above the fray. Most of its roots are in the air and no longer serve but the other half of the system yet sustain. There is no thought of giving up. Off to the right are the remains of a pier, nature’s reclamation. An islet lies shimmering in the distance. I am surrounded by nature’s quiet.
Someone has brought a genuine sea swimming dog. I’ve never seen one so willing to stay far out in the deep for that long. Suddenly we have all kinds of frolicking company. There are many ways to enjoy the shoreline. The dog sees the leash and immediately escapes back to the deep. Its interesting, even fun to watch the different attempts to lure and the accompanying frustrations when they don’t work. This is an all knowing dog. They leave and he comes out of the water, shakes himself off and bounds after them.
The shadows are very long now. If only the great legendary Maui could have known to put more time in an hour. But maybe it is just as well because as my thoughts went visiting upon my imperfections, I don’t want to spend that much time on the great list. There are sublime promises. I see the great choir singing, “Oh Divine Redeemer….. remember not , remember not……”
My new day, so full of resolve.

Aaron T Watene
Papanui the Storyteller
Nov 8, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment