Monday, January 18, 2010

Flavor Of Night

Whose lurking in the dark in MY Wal-Mart parking lot?
Three guys straight ahead, motionless, smoking pot

I guess their lips are movin’ and coverin’ a lot of stuff
I’m thinking three hours already and its still not enough

About six spaces off to my left a laptop is burning bright,
Sets me to wondering, what’s playing this time of night?

I see a black cat, furtive and slinking close to the ground,
Wonder where he’s headed, moving quietly, not a sound

The carts all marshaled, march unerringly t’ward the door
Consumed by the voracious appetite of the Wal-Mart store

Security checks his watch, another round’s ‘bout to begin
I’ll just lay low until he is past, he’ll not even see my chin

A car quietly slips alongside another, I note the early hour
A woman exits and staggers, definitely lost some power

Amazingly, she finds the right key and then there is light
The first remains quietly brooding until she’s out of sight

Pleasant slivers of the night time breeze wafting my brow
What jumped over the moon, the dog, the cat or the cow?

Oh, Oh! There’s someone wondering, what could I be
doing, lurking here in THEIR Wal-Mart parking lot?

Say What? (Maybe I should have called it “Delirium of the Night”)

Papanui the Storyteller
Aaron T Watene

No comments:

Post a Comment